I don’t really know when 8 months have passed, it feels like yesterday I had my very first contractions and went to the hospital… and now, my little girl is saying “mama”, “dada” and other baby words that make perfect sense for her and her toys.
Much has changed and I am pretty sure more changes are ahead of us, but one thing is certain, we are learning new things everyday. It’s a very balanced relationship, we teach the baby something and she teaches us something in return.
Five extremely important lessons we’ve learned so far:
1. It doesn’t matter what happens, where we are or what we’re doing, we need to SMILE MORE! Whenever we go for a walk in the park, or shopping, or in any other place, our baby smiles to everyone. It is fantastic to see how much she enjoys it and to see the great reactions she generates around her. You can’t beat a great smile and we believe people need to smile more (it is beneficial for facial expressions as well!) 🙂
2. ENJOY everything like you’re seeing it for the first time! No matter how much she plays with one toy during the day, the next time she picks it up to play with it again, she looks so happy and thrilled as if she’s seeing that specific toy for the very first time. It’s amazing to see how much joy a little toy can bring. Maybe we should treasure more all the things we have…
3. When all else fails, a big HUG saves the day. She smiles, she cries, she eats, she sleeps, but when she really wants something, all she has to do is give us a hug and everything just turns to “your wish is my command”… she is so adorable when she puts her little head on our shoulder and tries to hug our neck. She has so much love to offer and she just needs loads of love and affection. I believe we all need a big hug from time to time!
4. As a baby, everything needs to be tasted, smelled and analyzed. As an adult, we don’t bother to do that anymore, because we kind of know what we like and what we don’t like (or that’s what we believe). What we’ve learned from our baby is to TRY ANYTHING at least once. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking about crazy stuff here, I am just talking about foods, drinks and desserts. Keep it simple and enjoy your food!
5. SING and DANCE more… that’s what we’ve learned lately. All the “lalala” and “nanana” made us realize that our baby loves music, so we sing along and dance with her. It’s her favourite activity and if you do it for 30 minutes everyday, you will actually start to feel better and even happier, so it’s a fantastic way to bond and play.
Maybe for some people this isn’t much, maybe for others this might sound as nonsense, but these tinny bits keep us alive and make us believe there are little miracles that brighten up a day.
So, let your child teach you how to enjoy the simple things again!